Monday, May 16, 2011

Gotta Love Steinbeck . . .

From East of Eden:
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world.  And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.  This is what I am and what I am about.  I understand why a system built on a pattern must try to destroy the free mind, for that is one thing which can by inspection destroy such a system.  Surely I can understand this, and I hate it and I will fight against it to preserve the one thing that separates us from the uncreative beasts.  If the glory can be killed, we are lost."

1 comment:

Laura said...

You've inspired me to read East of Eden! It's been on my short list of books to read for a long time, but somehow I've been reading Grapes of Wrath and Anna Karenina for about a year and a half and can't seem to make any headway on either of them...